Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Connections to Summer Institute 2010


Berkeley, CA, June 1, 2010 – More than 3,000 kindergarten-through-college teachers across the country will dedicate four weeks this summer to learning new strategies to improve their students' writing skills.

The teachers were selected to attend National Writing Project (NWP) Summer Institutes held at the more than 200 NWP sites located on college campuses in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Co-directed by university faculty and classroom teachers, the institutes allow teachers in all subject areas to study the latest research on the teaching of writing and share knowledge, expertise, and effective classroom practices.

"Teachers who attend the Summer Institute will return to their classrooms next fall equipped with proven strategies for teaching young people how to write and how to use writing to learn," said Sharon J. Washington, NWP Executive Director. "Writing continues to be the signature means of communication in the digital age, and these institutes provide valuable continuous learning opportunities for teachers across the country."

What are your thoughts on your SDAWP Summer Institute 2010?

4 comments:

  1. The Summer Institute certainly provides lots of food for thought. Equipped with 4 weeks worth of interactive learning - reading, writing, discussing, and reflecting on research, writing, and teaching - I will leave tired and full of ideas to try and share in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad it is ending, but excited to go forth and try things out in my classroom. Thank you to everyone for your support. We made up an amazing group.

    I am excited to see you all back here for study groups in the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone swore to me that the SDAWP would change my life as a teacher, but I never would have guessed it would change me on a personal level. Other than sporadically jotting notes in a journal or modeling for my students, I never spent time writing. The SI forced me to step outside of my comfort zone and WRITE! The more time I spent writing, the better it started to feel. I found myself actually wanting to write for the first time ever. Now, whether I'm in line at the grocery store or walking along the beach, my brain is consumed with writing! Where everything was ordinary before, has now turned into an idea for a story...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah study groups! I hope to stay in touch with many of you in order to not loose all the great knowledge I have gained. It reminds me of a story that one of the SI members told during first week of class. When responding to how great someone felt about the writing Institute and how impactful it was, a writing fellow responded, "The Writing Institute is wonderful. I sometimes run into people who went through teh Institute and say, I loved the training. I should really get back into that "writing thing" in my classroom." Yikes! I won't let that be me!

    ReplyDelete